Date: 30th July 2007 at 12:29pm
Written by:

Barnet finally began to find the back of the net with Saturday’s pre-season friendly, albeit against a side four divisions below them in the Football League pyramid and with the help of three trialists.

Max Porter again played at right-back covering for Joe Devera whilst Luton trialist Rob Beckwith was given another chance between the sticks due to Lee Harrison‘s injury. Nicky Nicolau played instead of trialist John Glele, who was not even on the bench, suggesting he has been released by Paul Fairclough although it was not him but Ian Hendon who led the side that afternoon because the manager was attending his daughter’s wedding.

Tall frontman Rory May from Solihull Borough started alongside Anthony Thomas. Nathan Koo-Boothe was taken on trial a few days ago was nowhere to be seen.

There was an early scare for the Bees when Porter had to clear off the goal line in the second minute but from that point Barnet never looked back, dominating the game and the first goal came a minute after this incident, as Barnet counter-attacked and Thomas was put through on goal and the striker finished confidently.

Thomas’ half-volley a few minutes later forced a good save from the home keeper before May scored his first and it was almost identical to the first. Thomas was put through by Jason Puncheon who looked to get his second in the same fashion he scored his first but it was saved, May hitting in the rebound easily. Puncheon continued to show his flair through the rest of the game, and once again he put another team-mate through one-on-one, this time though it was Ismail Yakubu who was wearing the armband however his effort missed.

Thomas scored a quality goal on the half-hour mark, turning past his man and smashing a shot into the top of the net when Michael Leary offererd him the ball. Puncheon was in the heat of the action again and had numerous shots saved by Fishenden, the Northwood goalkeeper.

Soon enough the referee blew the whistle and Barnet headed into the dressing room. The trialist who Bees supporters who most happy with coming on when the players came out was striker Ben Wright. Stephane Claude Seanla, the Ivorian striker who has played up front and on the left-wing during pre-season friendlies whilst on trial was this time given a central midfield role. The other trialists who made an appearance were Michael Bostwick, Danny Hart and James Lawson.

Wright was involved in play from the restart, Seanla putting through a quality ball which the forward hit narrowly wide, among other opportunities in the opening stages. Liam Hatch entered the arena as a second-half substitute and played at centre-back, strangely doing a decent job. Maybe his embarrassing three yard miss at the other end, which with any head on it would’ve gone in, shows his credentials as a centre-forward and why Hendo’ chose to put him at the back.

Lawson hit the back of the net 5 minutes from time with his deflected strike confusing the keeper. But the accolades went to the other trialist Wright who scored a superb goal one minute from time, curling a shot just over the keeper and into the top corner, practically the only place it could’ve gone. Wright will be pleased with his performance who played well with the team and scored a cracker. On that performance, sign him up!

It was almost six Bostwick, who impressed with his versatility again, smacked a shot against the post on the full-time marker.