Date: 13th August 2007 at 11:20am
Written by:

Barnet had to kick-off the new campaign with just the one point, but should well have taken all the points at Football League debutants Morecambe.

Morecambe, who were playing their first match as a Football League club, came out to a banner by the Bees’ faitful reading ‘Barnet Welcome Morecambe To The Football League’ and had to delay kick-off by 15 minutes because of the large queues of home fans waiting to get inside the ground. At 3:15, the referee couldn’t delay the start to the season any longer, despite fans still lining up outside. Ismail Yakubu lead the Barnet side onto the pitch for the first time as captain, whilst Lee Harrison was fit enough to take his place between the sticks.

But it was the home side who got off to the much better start, dominating in the first ten minutes, and should’ve gone ahead when Twiss out-muscled Nicky Nicolau and raced through, only for Harrison to save on 3 minutes. Anthony Thomas saw yellow when his arm went up for a cross and hit the home keeper. But Lewis had to make saves from Adam Birchall from 20 yards whilst Sagi Burton should really have hit the target from Ashley Carew‘s free-kick at the back post.

Baker and Thomas both had shots from outside the box for each team, but it was the Bees’ frontman who should’ve scored mid-way through the half with his chance in the area. Barnet were beginning to put pressure on the home side but went into the break without having found the back of the net.

HT: Morecambe 0 – 0 Barnet

The teams came out and it was Barnet who really stepped up their work-rate as they looked for a deserving opener. Michael Leary almost scored a long-range 30 yarder when he saw Lewis off his line but narrowly missed, whilst the home side’s only goal threat came from Twiss because they lined up with a 4-1-4-1 formation, and unsucessfully tried to chip Harrison.

Barnet’s pace up front was a continual threat but the centre-back partnership and goalkeeper were proving to resistant to break down. Burton put in an excellent dangerous ball into the box which was cleared whilst Thomas raced through and passed to Birhall who’s on-target shot was deflected for a corner.

At the other end, Twiss chipped over the defence to put Hunter through whose first-time volley flew over. The Shrimps got back into the game with efforts from sub Thompson before the Bees went up another notch in the last 20 minutes looking for the winner.

Jason Puncheon almost put through Leary, only saved from the outstreched leg of Bentley before an easy opportunity for Barnet to take the lead came: Carew crossing for Adam Birchall‘s head which failed to make contact and at the back post Nicolau also failing to reach the well-placed ball. Another chance not taken.

Carew was given a hard-tackling challenge which left him on the ground for a while, the offender Adams given yellow, before the Thomas combined with Puncheon to give him some space just inside the area, the debut striker hitting a great shot that looked destined for the top corner, only for Lewis to pull off an amazing save to push the ball onto the crossbar.

FT: Morecambe 0 – 0 Barnet

Barnet will be very disappointed at only coming away from this fixture with one point, with enough opportunities to claim all three and will need to make sure they do the job in future away games like this, because if they’re to be challenging for a top-7 finish, these are the sorts of games you need to win.